This is the home-made Velvet Cheesecake recipe from TEA WITH MILK AND MURDER (Oxford Tearoom Mysteries ~ Book 2). This is a really simple, easy cheesecake to make and tastes delicious!
(Recipe from the back of TEA WITH MILK AND MURDER: )
For the filling:
- 1/2 pound of double cream cheese (eg. Philadelphia)
- 1/2 pound of curd cheese (if you cannot find this, you can substitute it with Philadelphia Light, which works perfectly. Be careful about the “curd cheese substitute” suggestions you find on the internet, such as ricotta cheese—these are too runny and cause the cake to fall apart!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- juice of 1 lemon + some finely-grated lemon peel
- a few drops vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt
For the base:
- a small packet of digestive biscuits (U.S.: graham crackers)
- 2 oz of melted butter (U.S.: half a stick)
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the topping:
- sour cream
- fruit to decorate, e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or you can cover with a fruit glaze
1) Pre-heat the oven to 205C / 400F.
2) Crush the biscuits (eg. in a mixer) and mix with the melted butter & sugar. Press this mixture into the bottom of a collapsible cake tin (where the sides can be removed) and put in freezer for 10mins.
3) Put all the ingredients for the Filling into a blender/mixer and combine until smooth.
4) Take cake tin out of freezer and pour filling onto biscuit base.
5) Bake in oven for 30 – 45mins (until cake filling firm)
6) Take out, remove the sides of the tin and allow to cool slightly – then put straight into the fridge.
7) When cake is cold (a couple of hours later), take out from the fridge and pour the sour cream on top & over the sides. Return to fridge to let it “set”
8) Once the sour cream has set, you can decorate the top with fruit, icing, etc.
(© copyright H.Y. Hanna)