A banana by any other name…

So this is it. After years of blogging as my dog, I’m finally striking out on my own.

If you think that statement sounds weird, you’ll probably think it even weirder that I find it easier talking to people as a huge, slobbery Great Dane than as myself…but hey, when you’re impersonating someone whose main concerns in life are ‘should I eat my own poo?’ and ‘do I bark at the postman today?’ – nothing seems that serious. ;-) The thought of having to display some human intelligence now by coming up with witty observations and glowing pearls of wisdom is seriously daunting.

What’s more – if you were hoping to get juicy gossip about my glamorous job or sexy friends, you’re outta luck. See, I’m a writer – which pretty much means that I spend all day – alone – in my pyjamas, having an unhealthy relationship with my computer, and the most exciting event in my work day is when the neighbours go out to hang their washing.

On the other hand, there is something that I can give you juicy details about – and that’s what it’s like straddling the cultural multi-highway.

I’m Taiwanese by birth, Chinese by ethnicity, British by marriage, pseudo-American by accent and currently Australian by residence. I grew up in the Middle East, was educated in the British system, eat with the typically voracious Chinese appetite, have a weakness for American snacks and a love affair with New Zealand. As someone who has lived in 7 countries and embraced several cultures (not to mention cuisines), I can certainly tell you what it’s like having an identity crisis – er, a rich mixed cultural heritage.

And despite not having lived in Asia most of my life and English being my first language, there is still a part of me that is very much ‘Chinese’ (years of soya sauce consumption does have side-effects). It’s the part that always makes me take a gift with 2 hands, struggle to accept a compliment and feel like I should have haggled for a better price…and it’s the part that somehow still defines me, no matter how Westernised my lifestyle is.

This does not mean that I “see the world in wide-screen due to my slitty eyes” – as some smart-aleck once asked me :roll: – but it does mean that perhaps I see the Western world I live in with slightly different insights…

A Chinese view of the world…?

So, I guess this blog will be a place for me to share (among other things) those insights and observations. They might not be witty – or wise – but they might be interesting enough to those who wonder what happens when East meets West and…

Of course – as they say in those Hollywood movie voice-overs – every great journey begins with a single step. I guess a blog begins with a name – something that would reflect what the blog was all about. When I first started researching the phenomenon of growing up Asian in a Western world, I came across the term ‘banana’ – supposedly to describe someone who is “yellow on the outside, white on the inside”.

It refers in particular to all those 2nd generation Chinese and other Asian immigrants (often known as ABC’s “American-Born Chinese” or CBC’s “Canadian-Born Chinese”, etc, etc ) whose parents had moved to the US, UK, Australia, Canada and more…and who had grown up looking completely Asian but living in a completely Western world.

Well, that’s not me exactly but I loved the term and thought it was a fun, light-hearted way to sum up exactly what I feel like sometimes…I was even thinking of a blog name incorporating the word “banana”…until I realised, with more reading, that the term was often used in a derogatory sense – a racist insult, even! Yes, apparently for many, a ‘banana’ is someone who has “sold out” to the West and forgotten their Asian roots, such as being unable to speak Chinese…

The funny thing is, it’s often the “fully Chinese” who use this name as an insult…most ‘bananas’ themselves don’t actually see it as an offensive term. They see it as the perfect description for someone who has had the chance to enjoy both cultures – to have Asian values as part of your upbringing, while at the same time inheriting the ‘white’ culture that you grew up in – and combining Eastern & Western traditions in varying degrees. As one ‘banana’ put it: “By choosing to accept the term, we empower it!” Be a banana and be proud of it! :P

So yeah – I’m comfortable being a ‘banana’ and see it as a positive term, not a negative one. I see myself as someone who has the best of both worlds. And I do my best to celebrate the Asian parts of me, as well as the Western customs I’ve adopted.

As for my blog name? Well, OK, I chickened out on using something that might have negative connotations – instead, I decided to go for something that would sum up the idea of East meets West…and thanks to all the helpful suggestions from the readers of my dog’s blog, I’ve come up with the perfect name (I think!): Chinos & Chopsticks.

The ‘chopsticks’ part is easy, of course, as few other words instantly conjure up the image & essence of Asia…but the “Western” word took some finding as I didn’t want anything too ‘American’ or British’ or any other bias…well, ‘chinos’ seems like a nicely ubiquitous Western concept.

And it’s got a personal touch too: chinos are about the only thing my husband will wear, despite years of desperate pleading on my part to try other forms of legwear. I’ve finally managed to get him to try colours other than beige (MAJOR achievement) and we’re now working towards accepting other fabrics but it is a slow process…(what is it with men and their lifelong commitment to an item of clothing which they will wear until it falls off their backs?? And then they want to go out and buy another one “exactly like it”?? :roll: )

And speaking of my husband – do you know what they call him? A Western person who has embraced Asian culture? An ‘egg‘ : white on the outside, yellow on the inside! ;-)

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to A banana by any other name…

1. coopermom71 says:

Love your new blog! I’ve followed Honey through the years and love her but when you wrote about yourself and Paul, it always peaked my interest!

Good luck and happy trails.

Kathy
    (Mom to Minnie and Mack)

2. sara says:

Hsin-Yi, I’m so excited that you’ve got your own blog!

This is great :) Love the “egg” name.

3. parlance says:

Hi, Hsin-Yi. I’m looking forward to reading more of your musings. And I’d like to ask your opinion on something we were discussing in our household the other day, after watching the episode of Miss Fisher’s Mysteries (or whatever the exact name of the show is) where the gorgeous Chinese guy come into the plot.

One household member reckons that at that time a man of Chinese ethnicity would have had a Chinese accent, even if his family had lived in Australia for a couple of generations. He reckons that it’s only in the last couple of decades that Australians of Chinese background typically have Aussie accents.

Any opinions?

4. Barb Dagger says:

We are glad you have your own blog, and hope Miss Honey will allow you a bit of “time off” to post here also.

Can SO identify with the men and clothes issue. Suggest you look at Bill’s Khakis for pants “just like” his favorites. Rich has totally embraced the concept of garments made out of fabric ” first milled for WWII soldiers.” Plus, they still make pants with pleats, which is an issue in our house.

My advice is to start by adding some color with socks. We started with Black socks and athletic socks, and after 43 years have branched out to various shades of brown, blue and grey, as well as argyles, “other” plaids, paisley and stripes. And where once only blue and white shirts hung in the closet, there are now multiple pinks and yellows, stripes and plaids. But still no lavender. That one made it into the equivalent of the Oxfam bag one day while my back was turned.

Small steps my dear, but start now.

Barb
    (aka, the muzzer)

• Hsin-Yi says:

Hee! Hee! Great advice, Barb! Yes, we have also been working on coping with wearing shirts & tops in colours other than blue, white and grey. Wow – you’ve managed plaids?? That is advanced stuff! I managed to get a very subtle check pattern through under his radar last year…but that was only because it was in various shades of blue & grey. ;-) Otherwise, any kind of loud pattern or logo is out of the question!! Great idea about starting with socks…we’ve just got to the stage where he’s slowly accepting that socks can come in colours others than black!! :P

5. 2browndawgs says:

Congratulations on your new blog. I look forward to reading more.

I totally understand what you are saying about a husband who has a commitment to one type of clothing. For years my husband would only pick clothing in gray and black. Finally, I have him selecting other colors on the rare occasions I actually get him out to buy new things. lol

6. Rosalind Mcfadyen says:

HI Hsin-Yi
    Congratulations on your new blog I very much looking forward to following your blog just as much as I love following Honey’s. You will be great and I can’t wait till your second post. From Milo’s Human Ros

7. woolsnob says:

Ok, I followed you here, I love this new blog :D I am definitely an egg! And my daughter a banana….I don’t know if my husband has reached banana-hood yet, but I am definitely egg-ish. What american snacks do you like?

Fascinating, almost more so than listening to Honey talk!

• Hsin-Yi says:

Ooh – American snacks! This almost deserves a post in itself! ;-) Well, I have to confess that I still desperately long for Dunken Hines chocolate chip cookies – oh, that soft, chewy texture – you just can’t get that anywhere else. I’ve looked in both NZ & Australia (and the UK) and all the choc chip cookies here are the hard, crumbly kind. I also loved “Fruit Roll-Ups” – I always had a couple of rolls in my lunchbox, when I went to school, when we were living in the US – and also Pop Tarts in the morning! And then when we visited Boston several years back, I was introduced to fresh bagels for the first time…oh my God. Not the stunted, dry, tasteless versions you get in bags in supermarkets here but the real big, soft, fresh ones coming straight out of a bakery and in a variety of both savoury & sweet flavours. I’d kill for a bagel in cinnamon sugar right now!!! I also remember the very first time I tasted a “peanut butter & jelly” sandwich – at school, donated by an American classmate from her lunchbox. I’d never known such a thing existed until then! :P

• Angi says:

I wish I could send you some bagels! Sadly, they’d be hard by the time they arrived. Packaged cookies could survive the trip, though! Do you know whether there’s anything to prevent a care packaged being mailed from here to there?

I had an Australian boyfriend for a while some years back. Her would visit the U.S. about twice a year and always brought an extra suitcase full of Australian snacks for all his American friends and sweeties. Then he’d fill it with American snacks for his Australian loves on the return trip.

Maybe we could set up a snack exchange by mail. That would be fun!

8. Melanie says:

Hey Hsin-Yi –

Great first blog!! I’m looking forward to getting to know a bit more about you beyond that greatness that is Honey :-)

Melanie

9. Jenny H. says:

Love the name Hsin-Yi!!! I have never heard of banana or egg used like that! So excited for you and look forward to reading more!!

10. Denise says:

Hi Hsin-Yi,

Congratulations on your new blog, I look forward to reading all your comments as I have enjoyed Honey’s blog so much I’m sure this one will be fabulous as well. I too have never heard the term banana or egg used like that either.

Hope all is well.

Denise & Kasha

11. Adrienne says:

Congratulations on your “own” blog! I look forward to reading more about your interesting life :)

12. Vero says:

Hello,
    I’m sure it will be fun to read your adventures, and your points of views.

13. Lucille says:

Hi Hsin-Yi,
    I am really happy you decided to start your own blog.
    I am sure it will be really interesting :)
    I still cannot believe how you manage to find time for a second blog, but I am sure it will be a great one!
    I had never encountered “chinos” and “banana” or “egg” in the meaning you explained, loved the idea … it is a pity someone can always find a way to put a negative meaning to everything :)
    Definitely Mario is a “chinos” type too… get him to change his dressing habits is quite a “mission impossible” :D!!!
    Love,
    Nicoletta

• Elena says:

“Guess I am a bit of a banana and of an egg too… even if I have always been in the same place all my life long… but sometimes i do not feel Italian at all…”

Me too… even if I have never moved from Bologna! Sometimes I feel like an alien in a stranger planet…

14. Diane Taylor says:

Hi Hsin-Yi – oh boy, i get to comment as me, not as my dog – ha ha! This is a perfect name for your newest venture. I can’t wait to see how it unfolds. I never knew about the term “banana” (other than that yummy fruit I make put into my breakfast smoothie every day). You have lived in 7 countries? WOW – I have never been in any other country other than the US :( I am excited for you – good luck and I will be checking in for your next post!

~Diane~

15. April Weir says:

I’ve already added you to My Favorites, great first post! You are an exceptional writer as both a slobbery Great Dane and youself! Can’t wait for the next one.

April Weir

16. KZK says:

Congrats on your new blog! I look forward to getting to know the person behind Honey a bit better! :)
    KZK (Mom to Zim and Dave)

17. brooke says:

Great post!
    Ive never heard the “egg” term before! I love it!

18. Mitch says:

I love your first post on your new blog and I can’t wait to read more, Hsin-Yi!

19. Dorothy S in Michigan says:

It’s so sad that people have derogatory names for eachother! Banana kind of is descriptive, yet it’s too bad that you aren’t Chinese enough on the inside for “them”. We have the term “Oreo” here in the states. It isn’t a nice word at all! It means Black on the outside and White on the inside.

I have lived with people of just about every ethnicity and here is how I think about those issues. I think 1st generation, 2nd generation etc.

For example, I certainly feel very German, being 1/2 German, and spending a great deal of time attending church where the majority are of German descent. Since it was my great grandfather who actually came from Germany I would be 4th generation. My exhusband’s grandparents came from Germany, so he would be 3rd generation. He, however, lived in a German community and German was his first language.

The longer our families have been here it seems the less we identify with our genetic forefathers, and the more we seem to blend in and emphasize our occupations, our hobbies or some other special aspect of our personhood.

Yet families like mine are very common here in the states, as few of us are native Americans. We almost all are hyphenated Americans, say Italian-Americans, or even Chinese-Americans. That is one way of saying both parts are important to us.

Mostly though, I just think of “people”, unless it is something special about a person that impresses me, for example that you can easilly wear your hair straight. I would have to work with mine to make it that way, and it probably wouldn’t stay that way for long, especially if it was damp out!

For a long time I worked with many Mideastern people and identified greatly with them. Then, on Sunday at church all I could see were blue eyes! It seemed both strange and refreshing! If there were something special I would use to tell you about my family I might just mention our blue eyes. Each person has a different color of blue!

If there was a common denominator among my German-American family, in-laws and fellow church members it might be a deep work ethic and outright enjoyment of hard work. (My son was at my house for Easter dinner. He drove over 100 miles one way, but while here fixed a broken hinge on a door.) That’s what I’m talking about.

I’m interested to hear more of your ideas and finding about who makes you special. It will be a gift and receive it with both hands!

20. brunosmom says:

It’s not about Honey’s adventures but I found this entry very interesting. You have a way with words for sure. Can’t wait to read more.

21. Hi Hsin-Yi
    (It’s weird, i feel the strong temptation to call you Honey still…)
    Well i think your first blog is a success because it is witty and wise, but i especially like your sense of humor!
    I realized while reading it that you must have had an enormous pressure knowing we (Honey’s fans) were all going to read it :p and it’s really brave of you.
    Can’t wait to read more of your thoughts!!!

22. K-9 Katastrophie says:

Ah, beautiful diversity! I remember in 7th grade (the one year I went to public school) a girl pointed at me and said I was a “cracker”. A black kid had called her that and she was insulted because she wanted to be called a “wet-back”. Angrily, she told the kid that I would be considered a “cracker”, not her.

I was insulted at first (even though I didn’t know what cracker meant). Funny thing is I am actually 1/4 Latin American, 1/2 German and the rest is everything from Irish to Jewish to Native American to British. And I am as white as can be!

I like the way I am. God created me as a mutt and I like it!

Great post!!

-Kim (Ruthie’s mom)

23. Frisky says:

Wow! It seems to be a big journey of you that we will be interested to follow. Thank you for sharing!

24. Hi Hsin !! When does the 10 questions start !!! LOL
    Nanny aka Lee
    PS : Congrats on publishing your 600 words :)

25. Suz says:

Can’t wait to see the Hsin-Yi I remember revealed.
    Why would anyone want to use a derogatory word to describe another person. Yes, I might think OMG what a big nose! or euuu he smells!
    But actually categorising someone with a statement to make me feel ‘better’ (because that is the root of the action) is beyond my comprehension. Thank God we are all different. Another Hsin-Yi or Suzanne in the world would be too much for many to cope with! Diversity and eccentricity are what makes the world an interesting and exciting place. Look forward to reading much more

26. jas0812 says:

Cool stuff! Now I have another blog to follow! :) Loving it already

27. Poots says:

Ysin-Yi – I’m so glad you started your personal blog – I love your writing!

I could really relate to the chino thing – you try to get my husband out of “Bulls Head” jeans!!!! No no – I won’t go!!!! Stubborn.

Poots

28. Katja - Abby & Jacks human says:

Love it Hsin-Yi. Glad you decided to have your own blog, I will be following with interest :)

29. Jed & Abby in MerryLand says:

Mazel tov on your first personal blog post! Looks like it’s going to be an interesting adventure. You’re actually living the future of our species: multi-ethnic, multi-national, multi-lingual. It may be inevitable, but it may not be easy.

ML

[Only have the one Google account and have no interest in opening another, so I'm just going to use Jed & Abby's]

30. Ingrid says:

Hi Hsin-Yi – Great Blog – I already added YOUR blog to my favourites. Thank you!

31. Elena says:

Hi Hsin-Yi! Your new blog seems very interesting! Can’t wait to read another post!

Lyra loves it too even if it’s not about Honey because she’s a very cultivated dog :)

32. Lilli says:

Yay, this is going to be very interesting blog! Well done Hsin-Yi!

33. Ashley says:

I am so glad you finally did this! When reading Honeys blog I always wonder how you see things being from all over! Its nice to get to know you past the cold hearted person Honey says you are sometimes! Lol j/k…. Keep up the great job!

34. Courtney says:

Glad you started your own blog :) I’ll admit – even though I’m completely westernized (from Canada, but a lot of English culture as well lol) I had no idea what Chinos were…I had to google it! Haha. I now officially follow 2 blogs ;)

35. Zan says:

Congratulations! I’ve been reading Honey’s blog quite religiously for the last year or so and I am so excited to get to know you better and read about all your travels.

You know, I thought you meant Chino like a Cappucino! Then I read all the comments and embarrassingly, I had to google what Chinos were… lol! Oh, i’m a nelly sometimes.

From the chorus of “Oh, I know what you mean” i’m starting to think that maybe it is a man-thing? Are there any women here who don’t have this problem?
    Mine is a mechanic and sees nothing wrong with his plethora of black band t-shirts and ripped jeans/cargo pants. Getting him into a shirt with a collar is an effort and a half *shakes head*

Zan x

• Hsin-Yi says:

You know, Zan, I’ve actually been surprised by the number of comments from people who say they too have a partner who is – er – wardrobe-challenged? ;-) It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one!! You’re right – I think it is a ‘man thing’ that stretches across all countries & cultures! :P

36. Jake of Florida says:

So you could have called the blog Bananas and Eggs????? Loved this first entry into the human …as opposed to the canine… blogging world. I myself haven’t been courageous enough to try it, but this is an inspiration. When I read about banana though, it did evoke what we here use the word for: Banana Republic, which has its own connotation and nothing at all to do with what you describe.

So, have fun with this and, when in doubt, ask Honey what you should do or say!!!

xxxxx

Joan (aka the Barkalot Boyz)

37. drdranow says:

I’m really looking forward to this! There has been a discussion among a bunch of us Westerners who grew up in Jeddah, and how we are ‘Third Culture Kids’ – meaning that since we spent our formative years in a country with a culture vastly different from our homelands, we don’t really fit in – either with our birth country, or with the country we grew up (as much as I loved Saudi Arabia, I would never consider myself a Saudi). We’re on the outside looking in (to quote Danny Elfman), and I really look forward to your views on the world (although Honey’s views are entertaining, too!). I love the ‘egg’ thing – I had never heard that one before, and it cracks me up (no pun intended! ;-) ).

As for men and clothing? Oy. My husband actually isn’t bad – mostly because as of late he’s a house-husband, and so mostly he’s in sweats. But when we used to travel, I could pretty much pack a pair of jeans, a pair of shorts, a couple of t-shirts (the same color), some socks and underwear, and he was good for anything. And my dad? Talk about someone who ONLY wears chinos – I don’t think my Dad has worn shorts in about 65 years (he’s 72), and has 7 pairs of the exact same LL Bean chinos – and even though he’s at his lightest weight in about 40 years, he doesn’t see the point in buying new pants that actually fit (he’s lost about 6 inches in his waist) – because he says, “they’re still in good condition, and that’s what belts are for”. Uh-huh! ;-)

Seriously, I can’t wait for more!

-Dr. Liz (I only attach the ‘Dr.’ because so many people call me that in my skiing/car racing life that it has stuck – at the university, EVERYONE is a Dr., but it has stuck anyway…)

• Hsin-Yi says:

Oh Liz – I’ve heard the term “Third Culture Kids”! In fact, my brother sent me a book about that once. In a way, I think it must be even harder for “expats” like you who then go home…’coz you look & sound American and yet inside, you might not be completely American in the way others are around you! I don’t know what that makes you…a Tofu Burger?? ;-)

ps. I’ve always liked “Dr Liz” – I think it sounds cool!

38. Hi Hsin Yi,

We enjoyed reading the first post of your new blog. We love the way that you write and look forward to more from you (and of course we will still be following Honey’s adventures!).

Love and woofs,
    Riley (and his human)

39. Mina&Maks&Mo says:

Hi Hsin-Yi,

so nice to see your own blog!! First time I hear about Chinos, banana and egg expresions :D … Great name for the blog, and looking forward to reading your new posts.

Take care,
    Mina

40. Elizabeth says:

Hsin-Yi, it was wonderful to “hear” your own voice.

I had never heard that usage for banana before, but I am one of the ultimate bananas: Korean by birth (although perhaps half), but adopted and raised only in the United States. I don’t even like kimchee! ;) So I definitely understand the disconnect between how I see myself versus how others see me.

I look forward to reading more!

41. Congratulations Hsin-Yi, very excited you have ventured into your own blog. You are, like Honey, a natural writer, and I look forward to reading more.

42. Roo says:

BOL! a banana and an egg…would be fun to see what they could make with those on “Chopped” ;) Great catchy name! Luv it!

Waggin at ya,
    Roo

43. Ka says:

Hehe. Here I am! I can’t wait to hear more from you! I’ve never heard of a banana but I have heard of a Twinkie – same thing (yellow on the outside, white on the inside). But I’ve never heard of the egg thing either! Anywho, I’m so excited for you!

44. Blue-Sea says:

Hi Hsin-Yi, loved both of your posts. I am a big fan of Honey’s blog. So I am sure my mom and I will enjoy here a great deal too. And mom loves to read about other cultures, meet people from different places, and especially loves to hear stories of people experiencing different cultures and how they adapt to it.

Blue-Sea & Rakhee

45. Love all you have accomplished with Honey, and your blogs. You are a gifted writer who has an excellent ability to touch on serious subject matter in a light non-confrontational manner. You are a beautiful young woman who is able to bring forth the beauty in life. Thank you for sharing.

Callie’s mom

46. Sally says:

That was such a great post!!! I laughed so hard, you’re such a wonderful writer, Hsin-yi! :D Keep it up!

47. Carol says:

Hi Hsin-Yi, just catching up now. Congratulations. You are certainly entertaining in your writing and I’m looking forward to reading more. Had to laugh about Paul and his chinos. Is it a Dr thing? Our Dr and our Dr before both wore chinos and I never saw them wear another type of trouser hehe. See you soon. Can’t help myself so I’ll sign off as usual, No worries, and love, Carol

48. Nicki says:

Congrats on getting past the first blog post. It’s not any easy thing!

In our house it’s the denim (shorts or pants) and he wears them until they are shedding worse than the dogs!

49. Great first post!! I love it. :D The banana and the egg hehehe. I love your writing style and look forward to reading more from your point of view. :D

50. Garth Riley says:

Congratulations on having your very own blog! As much as we enjoy Honey’s blog, we know we will love this one. We enjoyed very much learning about your heritage and love that you embrace it. We look forward to reading more of your posts.

51. Laura says:

That was an amazing first post Hsin-Yi!! For someone who has spent her entire life only reading things that involve dogs, animals, or fantasy creatures, that first post had me smiling and I was quite intrigued to read some more!

I’m looking forward to it!

~Laura (Lexi and Jasper the Danes

52. Kim says:

H’sin Yi, while I love to read about Honey’s adventures on her blog, some of my favorite posts were those about you growing up and about your college days and your vacations, so it was an easy decision to follow you here.

And I get to comment as myself rather than as my dog…human to human.

I look forward to reading more from you.

I recently had a conversation with several American Indian teens who attend St. Joseph’s Indian School here in the US. They leave the reservation and live at the school. Those who remain on the reservation call them “apples”, red on the outside and while on the inside…bananas, eggs, apples…I like ‘em all.

Kim

53. Maya Asiandoodle says:

I love this new blog! Being an Asian growing up in America I definitely feel like a banana! I think it is very cool that you have experienced so many different cultures! Like you, I am also a food connesiour. I love all food except American. Ironic.

54. Lassiter Chase & Benjamin the Shelties says:

Thanks for explaining what Chinos are — Mommy didn’t have a clue what it was. So, glad you got your blog up and running. We like the “egg” term too.

55. Charlotte :) says:

Hello Hsin-Yi!!
    I have been following your blog on Honey and I am so glad that you’ve started your own!

I’m not a banana, but Im a bit of an egg. Born in England, lived in England all my life but I do have a Norwegian Uncle with 3 bilingual (if that is how you spell it) children and a Korean Aunt with 2 bilingual children, who live in Hong Kong. Confused? :P

And I agree with you, when I used to talk from Ziggy and Rocky’s point of view it was so much easier, now I worry about how I sound, if I sound silly, persistance, snobbish AHHHH!! So much pressure ;)

Anyway, I am loving your blog, and I will try to follow this one as much as I enjoy following Honey’s blog.

Charlotte :)

56. Jacquie says:

Hi Hsin-Yi! I recently started reading Honey’s blog, which I discovered while researching great danes since we will be taking one home next month. I look forward to hearing about things from “YOUR” point of view here!

57. Hsin-Yi! Just blog about whatever you want to! We will of course love and read your blogs, pearls of wisdom, or not.

58. rottrover says:

Oh boy!! I’ll be back when I have time to catch up. Congratulations, Hsin-Yi!!

59. Aj says:

Honey’s blog is truly a class apart and now reading yours! OMG Hsin Yi please do publish your book fast cant wait to read it.

PS please do not stop the blog once your book get to the bestsellers. :)

60. Scarlett says:

Hi Hsin-Yi,
    Your blog is very interesting.
    I don’t have the problem of a wardrobe challenged husband.
    Could please contrast the “wardrobe challenged man” with woman who have
    been made to believe that every time they step out of the house they have to
    wear something different?
    Scarlett

• Mike Meier says:

Been following “Honey’s” blog for some time, just discovered this. I’ll be here from now on.
      Please see my reply on Honey’s blog about what cured my migraines.
      Mike

61. Ginny says:

Hi Hsin-Yi! Just came across your blog whilst searching for YouTube vids of Great Danes, and from there to here. Like you I’m quite happily a banana (and what’s more, a BBC banana), but I’ve never been able to properly articulate how I feel about such a status – though you appear to have summed it up nicely. Like you I also love dogs, love to write and is ethnically Chinese, here is where the similarities may end. I don’t have my other half yet, nor have I lived anywhere but England – so I look forward to going through your blog and live vicariously through your posts!

62. Mike Meier says:

Gotta express my support for Paul on his chinos. I grew up in them. Boarding school- chinos with a jacket and tie; college- chinos with a jacket and tie; hitch in the US Navy, summer work uniform- chinos with a khaki shirt; grad school- chinos without jacket or tie; then a business career- no chinos. Retired now and it’s chinos with whatever the he!l I feel like for a shirt. Expect to buried in chinos.

Leave Paul alone! And make more entries in your blog! Best.

63. Jerry says:

You know, Hsin-Yi? Maybe you’re writing a book and you don’t even know it. Keep up with Honey’s blog. Your involvement with canine freestyle is how I learned about you and Paul and Honey and Lemon and Muesli and . . . ? Keep up with your own blog, “Chinos and Chopsticks.” Please keep telling us about your chino-anglo-dutcho-australo-newzealando-whatevero view of the world. I don’t know if this is a worldwide interest yet, but many Americans are interested in the international influences on individual lives. Keep writing everything that comes to your mind. Then maybe when you’re 40 or maybe 50, you will finally say, “This is the story I want to tell.” I started out my life in the architectural engineering field. Now, as a dog-behavior specialist, I’m trying to save dogs’ lives by modifying HUMAN behavior! All the best to you and Paul and your four-legged kingdom!

64. Brenda ten Brinck says:

Hello!
    Greetings from the Netherlands or Holland as it’s also named.
    You came into my life through Honey’s blog, and I must say you made an impact :)
    A really positive, lovely, animal-lover friendly impact that is.
    You shine bright as a little sun with your outlook on life .
    I love your writing as Honey, but after reading this first blog of your own, I love you even more.
    Thank you for sharing your and your family’s life with us.
    Biiiig Hug,

Brenda (Human, 36 years)
    Yurek (Shi Tzu, 12 years)
    Venka (European Short Hair Cat, 9 years)

I'd love to hear your thoughts! (Don't worry if your comment disappears - probably gone in Spam but I'll fish it out!)